Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Necklace: Update

Months ago, I posted an entry called The Necklace. You can click here to get to the archive. It involved a critical conversation with a young lady whose unique pendant gave me a parable moment. It helped to turn our conversation from earthly to eternal. She listened so intently that I invited her to join us on Sunday morning. A few weekends later, she did so and has become a regular attender. She has even brought along a classmate who is her frequent companion on Sundays.

The Necklace was the last time I spoke in depth with her. We are always in the same circle of people on Sunday - from getting on the bus together, finding seats in fellowship and even cramming our growing group into a corner room of our favorite restaurant, we keep one another in sight. But, I knew that her story would have to require a laissez-faire approach from me, which basically meant no approach at all other than to watch and take my cues from her growing interest or disinterest.

On Sunday morning, it happened.

I arrived early. She, her classmate and a few others entered the building several minutes later and made their way over to where I was sitting. We greeted one another and exchanged the usual questions. And then she said, "You know, I think I'm ready. [The classmate] and I have both talked about what we've learned by coming here, and we both want to believe and become [what you are]."

My eyes dilated. "Wow," I said. I pulled her aside and asked if the Canuck and I could schedule some time to meet with her and the classmate this week to further discuss some things. We want to make sure that they understand. She agreed. We will have dinner together on Thursday evening.

This news is like a meteor slamming into a week in which I have felt out of touch with the person who is beyond compare in my life. I am disobedient, unfaithful, ungrateful, insensitive and a general flea market of vices. And yet...he shows me his magnificent faithfulness in a way that I never really expected. He, alone, is capable of drawing men to himself and yet, through the gift of grace, lets me glimpse how he still chooses to make me part of his everlasting story.