Monday, June 13, 2011

signs of summer

The main gate of our campus serves as a rendezvous point for many lunch and dinner meetings. As I was waiting for my student to arrive last night, I glanced at the front lawn of our iconic main building and realized that I was staring at something I've never seen in China: a gas-powered lawnmower.

And then I noticed that I wasn't the only one staring. There was a slight crowd of 12-15 people stopping to watch the monotonous activity of two hooded female workers carving parallel lines through the grass. I don't know if they were more transfixed by the lawnmowers or by the little oasis of greenery among a sea of steel and concrete. Forty or fifty years ago, grass and flora, in general, were almost unheard of. Trees, shrubs and anything bourgeois were ripped up, cut down, burned or shredded. Gardens bloomed only in memories. So...the sight of lush green turf growing at a State-run institution today is, well, perhaps worth stopping to watch and silently celebrate.