Tuesday, June 28, 2011

siesta fiesta

Classes are finished and grades have been submitted.

Still, the week has demanded as much of me as teaching full time usually does. Yesterday morning, my bones felt heavy with fatigue as I reluctantly left the refuge of bed and headed to the immediate comfort of coffee and morning reading. Two hours later, I was doing kung fu maneuvers with the Canuck and our eager instructor, The Orphan (see 'orphan' tag for backstory).

After a lunch of homemade hamburgers - my punishment for losing a friendly bet - I felt my body beginning to wage silent protest against any ambitions I had for staying awake. The Orphan told me story after story, and being a quiet audience of one soon forced me to confess how tired I was. We agreed to rest for a while. It pleased me to know that he felt at home enough to stretch out on my sofa and make complete use of it and its pillows. I returned to the bed that I had been forced to abandon earlier in the day. I fell asleep to the gentle motor of an oscilating fan.

Sleep brought a temporary halt to a schedule that, while rich in company, has been meager in reprieve. One of my friends once said of her self-imposed breakneck days, "I can sleep when I'm dead." I will never ever understand that.


PHOTOS FROM THE PAST WEEK:


Above and below: learning how to make jaozi (Chinese dumplings) at a friend's house



Below: friends + chun bing (Chinese style burrito in which a flat pancake is stuffed at the table with whatever filling has been ordered -- one of my favorite things to eat in THE WHOLE WORLD)



Below: Japan rockin' the mic at ktv.