Sunday, July 3, 2011

Leavin' on a jet plane

I left Harbin this morning in the care of my taxi-driving friend while the sweet and familiar faces of about four friends became a mural through the passenger window.

I am at the Beijing Airport for the next two hours, then boarding a flight that will take me to Chicago and then Hotlanta.

I've already been to Starbucks. Enjoyed a sandwich that, while bland, was still a CHICKEN SANDWICH WITHOUT THE LIKES OF CORN AND KETCHUP. Proof that I haven't completely outgrown my western palate.

I am now sitting at the gate and distracting myself with the complimentary wi-fi and the unexpected company of a dear friend whom I've known since my first year of teaching. She and I met at training and spend time together every year when we congregate in Thailand. She is on the same flight, two rows away.

There are so many foreign faces here, and by "foreign," I mean "my kind." I never cease to be amazed in travel.