Monday, April 4, 2011

the weeping prophet

I have been studying the words of Jeremiah, lately. It's not light reading; poor Jeremiah was equipped with the unenviable task of telling an entire nation of people that their transgressions were soon to be confronted by unrestrained holy fury. The response was as brazen as the grievances that were addressed. No one believed him, and he was repeatedly imprisoned or on the run. To make the burden even more daunting, it appears that he had only one faithful friend: his scribe, Baruch.

This morning, I was reading chapters 47-48, and I was amazed at the metaphorical mural being painted in the description of how He would judge and destroy those appointed nations. To be put in the cross hairs of divine wrath would be a terrifying consequence. And yet, being on the other side of the story, I boasted in belonging to One who can both love and judge -- violently. It's much like fleeing to a big brother who takes up the cause of the weak sibling. In that moment, I don't want someone who is meek and mild. I want someone who can lay a whole lotta hurt in one fellable maneuver.

I love Him. I fear Him. And I am glad for the reasons that justify both.



vivid verses:

“Ah, sword of the Lord, how long till you rest? Return to your scabbard, cease and be still.” (47:6)

“Moab has been at rest from youth, like wine left on its dregs, not poured from one jar to another – she has not gone into exile. So she tastes as she did, and her aroma is unchanged. But days are coming when I will send men who pour from jars, and they will pour her out; they will empty her jars and smash her jugs.” (48:11)

“Come down from your glory and sit on the parched ground.” (48:18)

“Make her drunk, for she has defiled the Lord. Let Moab wallow in her vomit; let her be an object of ridicule.” (48:26)

“I have stopped the flow of wine from the presses; no one treads on them with shouts of joy.” (48:33)

“So my heart laments for Moab like a flute.” (48:36)

“I have broken Moab like a jar that no one wants.” (48:38)