Tuesday, February 23, 2010

a conTEXTual conversation

Right as I opened my door from returning home from dinner, I got this text message from one of my freshmen (no editing liberties taken):


I'm leaving home for school now. On the train, I miss my father, I miss my mother, I miss a lot. Just now when I looked at my mother's photo on the phone, I found tears in my eyes. Sometimes, I feel so guilty because I think I'm not trying my best to study, when my parents are working at their best to support me. 2 days ago, when China's 3rd gold medal winner Zhou Yang answered why she struggle so hard to win the Olympic championship, she said: I want my parents to live a better life. The moment I heard the words, the moment I cried silently in my heart.




I wrote back:

It is so good to hear from you. Leaving the familiarity of home is never easy, especially in your first year of university. It will get easier, but it'll never be EASY. But, for me, I'm glad that my heart aches when I am separated from my family because it means that we have something real and true between us. As for being worried that you'll disappoint your parents, think about this: Your performance here is only a fraction of who you are. I imagine that your parents would only regret their sacrifices if you failed to be the man that you want to be. I know of many people who were good students but pretty terrible people. The disappointment comes from seeing that a good education doesn't mean anything to a selfish heart. What you do with your education and your life is what your parents will remember. The question that you face now is, "What kind of man do I want to be and how am I working toward that goal?" It's as much a heart issue as it is a head issue.



He responded:

Thank you. I think I will keep this message and read it from time to time to remind me who I want to be and what I want to bring to my dearest parents. To tell you the truth, it really made me feel better when I read that "my heart aches because there is something real and true between us." Thank you!



May he find even greater peace and truth in pleasing the Father of fathers.