Sunday, September 4, 2011

seating charts

StoneCold and his friend, the Director, came over for - what else - hamburgers on Friday night. In the two years that we have been making dinner reunions, I think that I've deviated from the menu only once, and that was to give them an introduction to omelets. Though the risk was rewarded with nods of approval, StoneCold is much like me in his loyalty to first loves. In other words, the hamburger and its empire of dribbling lopsided deliciousness will not be dethroned.

We now all know the procedure. They show up with the usual contributions of lettuce and tomato, which save me the time of going to the market. Hands are washed, shirt sleeves rolled up to the elbows. Plastic cutting boards are retrieved from the drying rack. StoneCold prefers to use more traditional Chinese cutlery, so I always make sure I have a cleaver washed and ready. And he, in turn, always inspects it. I appreciate his discriminating methodology, especially during food prep. I told him last night that I would hire him for kitchen staff anytime.

Fresh ground beef is packed into a ball, flattened into a disc and seasoned. We drill doughnut holes in the middle of the patties to distribute the heat and then lightly brush them with melted butter for insulation. The hiss from the pan plays as background music to our conversations.

Our discourse last night was as stacked as the burgers themselves. We talked about our summers and about the schedules we keep this school year. StoneCold taught me two new words (apogee and paragee) which I will never employ except in this blog entry and maybe some future conversation with him in which I ridicule the chances of me ever using terminology as it relates to satellite orbits. We also discussed movies, classical music and my allergic reaction to higher math.

They both ate two massive burgers apiece. StoneCold lamented my decision to use paper plates, but his reasoning brought a big smile to my face. "I can't lick a paper plate," he said. I promised to use porcelain next time. Since he assumes all dishwashing responsibility, it's not a sacrifice on my part.

After dinner, StoneCold pitched the idea of going for a walk - something our trio did the last time we finished off a meal at my place. Had I not been up since an early hour, I would've accepted the invitation. I was pleased that he found it enjoyable enough to propose a repeat. I hinted that I might call the two of them sometime this week to join me in the late afternoon hours. The weather here is nearly perfect, and cool evening strolls are things that a Georgia girl living in Harbin doesn't forsake.

After they left, I realized that the silence following their departure was noticeable because we had laughed so much that evening. There was never a labored moment or an awkward exchange. And silence - when it did come - was welcomed as a moment of savoring the flavors, textures and smells of a meal that brings joy and company and acceptance.

My imagination has taken that moment on a trajectory toward eternity. One day, I will take up residence in my Father's kingdom, and I will sit down at His banquet. I hope that StoneCold and the Director are there and that maybe we will be seated together. And wouldn't our laughter be unbridled and complete, rising like smoke to the heavenly rafters...if we glance down to see that we will be feasting on hamburgers.