Thursday, September 1, 2011

IKEA shelves and angry elves

Mankind is fascinating. Living abroad constantly strips me of boredom of my own species. And the IKEA found in Beijing - the second largest in the world - is a place where I go (when I'm in town) to spend equal parts shopping and observing the surplus of human behavior.


Beijing locals go there for reasons other than people-watching or finding a Scandinavian bookshelf. They make the journey largely because it's a free way to escape the heat and smog of the city, and the maze of display beds, chairs and sofas just begs for weary occupants.


Yes, they go there to sleep.


They also take advantage of the pre-fabricated rooms that provide complimentary backdrops for family photos.




CLICK ON IMAGES FOR HIGHER RESOLUTION




Over 1,200 miles northeast of Beijing, I have found human behavior just as intriguing. This time, though, it involves a newcomer to our foreign instructor group. He's not affiliated with me, my team or our organization; he's independent. He comes from a legal background and seems to apply the aggression intrinsic to that profession to his current position. He has not come here without controversy, and his demeanor has already caused major tension among some in his department. On more than one occasion this week, my team and I have had to comfort his walking wounded after heated confrontation. When I found out that he had assailed another foreign instructor in front of department supervisors (most being Chinese), I was immediately grieved. He is an ex-pat with whom I am embarrassed to share a nationality. I found out that he has multiple marriages and estranged children whose numbers exhaust fingers on both hands. Thanks to the internet, I also found out that his questionable past followed him through various parts of the world and is now archived and available for anyone who plugs in the right search words. Considering his access to court documents, I am wondering if and/or how much information he has already had expunged from public record.

At this point, what I see is a man whose venomous outbursts just don't match up to the offenses that incur them. He is also quite short, so I have begun referring to him as "the angry elf." With his stature playing off of salt and pepper hair and a matching beard, he really does look like he could secretly steal into a cobbler's shop and make leather shoes all night. I realize that I may have to repent for thinking of him that way and especially for sharing it.

Keep him in thought. He must be a miserable wreck inside. Keep us in thought, as we wait and watch to see what will happen. Keep our newest team-mates in thought, as well. Their first week here has not been without incident, and it so happens that one of them is working alongside the angry elf.

It is no coincidence that a man as tormented as he must be has been placed right in the midst of so many light-bearers. This semester will be an exceptionally memorable one.