Monday, April 19, 2010

A dream within "a dream"

One of the courses that I teach is called Public Speaking. For the last several weeks, we've deconstructed MLK Jr's, "I Have a Dream" speech by evaluating certain techniques that are repeated throughout.

Today, I gave a quiz over some background information that was required research (to supplement their understanding of the political atmosphere in 1963 America).

The quiz was two questions:

1) Tell me everything you know about Jim Crow Laws.
2) Tell me everything you know about Brown vs. Board of Education.

The scores are abysmal, but there are a few responses that not not just ridiculous but ridiculously abstract:

By the way, black people can be treated better than before.

Brown vs. Board of Education is the beginning of the education of black children. It's the base of the black education. You know, brown is the color between black and white.

Jim is a boy's name, and Crow is a bird which is covered in black.

Jim Crow is a very famous people, and do lots of favor to struggle for the freedom of Negro. And he has many hobbies.


And my favorite. I've read it about five times, already:

Brown vs. Board of Education. Sorry, I know nothing about Brown. I can only say: "Sorry, Brown, I don't know you. But you don't know me, either."