Monday, January 30, 2012

the getaway

I came to Chiang Mai early to slip into the quiet comfort of warmth and stillness...and anonymity. Tomorrow is my check out day from the little bungalow that has been my retreat. I will report to the hotel downtown, where several hundred of us will gather for our annual conference. I look forward to it for a number of reasons, partly because I am coming out of isolation and am emotionally and spiritually ready for the next eight days of fellowship, workshops, meetings and dinners on the terrace.

It's been a lovely two weeks at this place. Though not much more expensive than the budget YMCA that has been my default accomodation in previous years, it's given me two of the things that the Y can't: a pool and seclusion. I've taken to calling the owner,a retired man from the UK, "Sir Philip." The gecko brothers, on the other hand, still remain, "the gecko brothers."


Photos:

My bungalow is on the far right.

The bikes are available for any guest to use. They don't climb hills very well, but are fine for quick trips into the nearby village.

There are three pools on sight. The largest is a lap pool. The two circular ones are more shallow and are generally offered for children. The water is as cold as I can stand it; get in and keep moving.