Thursday, August 25, 2011

tricks of the trade

I looked at the raw chicken sitting in my refrigerator the other day and remembered my Wycliffe cookbook that I purchased a few years ago. It contains recipes and cooking anecdotes from those who serve worldwide. I decided to see what I could find inspiring.

Instead, I discovered things like this. How did I get through the last 34 years of my life without knowing this stuff?

Place cottage cheese container upside down to keep twice as long.

To make fluffier omelets, add a pinch of cornstarch before beating.

To remove excess fat from soup, add lettuce leaves for a few minutes and remove before serving or add ice cubes and remove them immediately.

For too much garlic, add a small bunch of parsley for 10 minutes.

To remove unpleasant odors from the interior of the refrigerator, wipe with damp cloth sprinkled with vanilla flavoring.

To deter ants coming in through doors and windows, plant peppermint at entrances. The crushed leaves release the mint oils that drive ants away.

To keep granulated sugar from lumping, place a couple of saltine crackers in the container and cover tightly.