Saturday, March 19, 2011

Emoticons

It was a text message composed of three strokes:

:-)

But it came from StoneCold, and that immediately lifted it from the ranks of “CHINESE CUTE” to “STOP AND CELEBRATE THIS MOMENT.”

He had responded to a reply that I had sent him after his original message of “Happy Birthday, Meagan 朋友 (friend).” I wrote him back saying thank you and that I hope to have him over soon for a hamburger reunion.

His reply was three strokes – not even a word.

I sat down in my chair and stared at it for a long time. I recounted how many steps our relationship has taken to this point, to a gesture so unimaginable two years ago. I wept, prayed, and then got up and walked into the kitchen to get started on a birthday cake.

Who would've thought that a wordless text message would be such an extraordinary testament?