Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sundy-go-to-meetin'

My Sunday morning was spent at a local fellowship about a ten minute walk from the YMCA. Earlier in the week, I had found out about it through my cooking instructor. My team-mate and I were supposed to go together, but she ended up being delayed at the airport while volunteering to meet some incoming conference leadership and VIPs. Other foreigners eventually showed up. The service was in Thai, but I had a translator -- a woman whom I met several days beforehand when I visited ELIC's new Chiang Mai office location. She works there part-time.

After the service, I was invited to stay for lunch. Of course I said yes. The worship center became makeshift cafeteria as seats were re-positioned to form several little groups of people eating and laughing together. The meal was prepared and served buffet style in the adjoining room.

Once finished with lunch, I thanked my hosts and strolled back to the Y, the sunshine draping itself on my shoulders. I was recounting the residual effects of meeting two local believers within just a few days of each other, both of whom are members of the same fellowship. Nothing like international travel makes certain communities feel so strategically knit together.